Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Headachy And Still Want Sweets! More on Emotional Eating (VLCD Day 2)

Yup, I'm still dealing with the emotional eating aspect.  I want to go on a monster binge - and that has nothing to do with hunger, but everything to do with sadness.  I'm still using EFT to manage the emotional process. 

Eating is such an emotional activity.  We eat when we're happy, we eat when we're sad.  We eat to celebrate (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day), and to commiserate.  We tend to eat more when we're with others (not me, though, as a binge eater I eat more alone).  Staying on a diet like this brings the emotional component of eating right up front.  I can't sit down and binge when I'm trying to lose weight, I have to feel my feelings.

Which usually isn't fun.  When I want to binge, I'm trying to fill an emotional void, which means I'm just not very happy.  I don't like being not happy, and I don't like feeling sad or blue, so I have a tendency to stuff those feelings right down.  Usually washed down with a half gallon of ice cream, eclairs, cheesecake, frosting right out the can....  Somehow salad doesn't quite work as a comfort food. 

Give me Southern fried foods, mashed potatoes loaded with gravy, and sweets any day. 

But for now, I need to forgo the comfort and remember the discipline.  I know what I want to look like.  I know what I want to feel like. 

I can do this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment