Saturday, January 8, 2011

Acupuncture for weight loss

I rather surprised myself today.  I decided to go get acupuncture for my weight issues.  You see, since Tim's hospital stay, I've been very stressed out (not his fault, I'm listening too much to my monkey mind) and have been eating more for comfort. 

This is not conducive to weight loss or maintenance. 

What I want to have is a healthy relationship with food.  Not longing for foods that will make me fat, not obsessed with being thin, but to be slender, active, healthy, and strong.  Let's face it.  I'm always going to have lush curves - I'll never be stick-thin and don't want to be - but I can be slimmer and healthier than I am now.  My goal weight is 130, which still leaves me with curves, but slims out my waist without being bony or emaciated.

So I am continuing my round, but with the additional support of acupuncture to get my mind off food and onto other things.  Like work, my kids, and Tim. 

How does it work?

Well, the practitioner put 2 needles in my ear for 20 minutes.  Then she put "ear seeds" in - tiny metal balls - that are held in place with tape and allow me to massage the pressure points if I feel cravings.  She put them on the Shenmen point, which is supposed to help me calm down when I'm stressed out and want to eat for comfort, the stomach point, which helps reduce the appetite, the gall bladder point, which helps with digestion and frustration, and the hungry/thirsty points.

I am very interested to see how things progress with the acupuncture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment