Friday, March 18, 2011

Self Care is More Than Physical

Often we - especially we women! - are busy taking care of everyone around us.  Kids, parents, bosses, clients, customers, neighbors, friends... the list goes on and on and on.  Somehow, between work and children and house and loved ones, we forget about the one person we should take care of the most.

Ourselves.

Yes, I was one who believed that you took care of everyone else first.  I'd have kids who looked nice, had handmade clothing, and were well fed while I looked like....well, like shit.  (Sorry.)  Hair unkempt, clothes that looked dreadful, no makeup, and while I ate, I ate junk food, not the healthy stuff I fed my family.  In the middle of all this, I was having babies, which created an even greater drain on my body.  Especially once I reached my 30s!  With my last baby, who's now 8, I lost over 1/2 my hair, and very nearly lost my health.

Because I was busy taking care of my husband, my 2 year old, the house, and everyone but myself.

I've learned my lesson. 

I got rid of the husband (great guy, but very demanding and not a good match for me), let the children figure out that Mom needs time to herself sometimes, started working out, started eating things that nourish me instead of drain me, and lo and behold, I'm a better mother.  A better worker.  A better homemaker.  And I released a lot of weight.

Because I finally learned to love myself. 

It's OK to put yourself first.  If you don't, who will?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment