Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dealing with Special Occasions

Today is my youngest child's birthday.  He's 8.  Guess what that means, dieters?

Cake and ice cream.

(Dun, dun, DUNNNN!  Cure horror music.)


Let's face it.  food is at the center of most of our social occasions and holidays.  We really can't get away from it.  No one wants to hide in the closet.  We all want to have a social life!   How do you stick to your diet or P2 protocol when you're celebrating? 

Well, since I'm in charge of food, the first thing I'm going to do is make sure there are foods there I can eat.  Sliced apples, strawberries, celery sticks, grilled meat or a salad.  If you're attending a function where you're not in charge of food, ask if you can bring something.  Your host will appreciate it. 

At a restaurant, tell the server you're on a special diet, and they'll bend over backward to help you.  I had servers at Texas RoadHouse bring me an extra salad since I couldn't have any of the other sides on the menu - once I said "I'm doing HCG" the girl perked right up and told me she would take good care of me.  And she did, too! 

If you can, eat before the party so the tempting foods aren't so tempting.  Fill up on lots of water.

And, most importantly, if you do have a slice of cake, forgive yourself and move on.  It's not an occasion to eat the whole cake and all the leftovers.  Just accept the stall, and keep moving forward.  Really, it's not the end of the world.

You can stick to it with a little preparation!

No comments:

Post a Comment