Sunday, January 10, 2010

Calories in, Calories Out - Is It True?

I was reviewing some sites about HCG, and came across the same (stupid) statement over and over.

"If you just eat less and exercise more, the weight will come off."

"Anyone will lose weight on 500 calories a day."

No, and no, not necessarily.

The human body is far more complex than that.  I can - and have - eaten less than 500 calories a day, and GAINED weight. 

I work out three days a week, and live an active lifestyle.  I eat right (for the most part) and exercise.  You'd think I'd be rail thin!  But I'm not - I'm still 30 pounds overweight. 

We hold on to fat for safety and security.  We hold onto fat because of hormonal changes in the body.  We hold on to fat for a lot of reasons that may not be related to what we eat! Stress will cause us to hold fat.  Louise Hay said in her book "You Can Heal Your Life" that fat is a layer of protection against the outside world.  It can be resentment and anger held in the body.  As you work through the issues involved, the weight will come off.

Thyroid problems can cause us to hold on to fat - regardless of our calorie intake.  Menopause - every woman knows that the older she gets, the harder it is to lose weight!  - causes women to hold fat due to hormonal changes. 

The kind of calories may matter.  I have consumed 500 protein calories and lost weight, and then 500 carb calories and gained.  A high protein, low carb diet tends to work for me.  It may not work for others. 

And .... I cannot stay on a 500 calorie a day diet without HCG, not for more than a few days. 

But, as always - your mileage may vary.  If you're rail thin and that comes easily to you, don't hate those who have such a hard time releasing fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment